Celebrities Who Changed Their Birth Names for Fame :
Are you one of those people who think they know every single detail about their favorite celebrities? Do you have any idea who Carlos Irwin Estevez is? Well, it is the birth name of Chalie Sheen. Okay, this one was simple. But, you might have never heard of ‘Diane Hall’ or ‘Maurice Micklewhite’. Plenty of celebrities decided to change their real names before becoming famous. The reason behind these names changes can be providing simplified versions of their real names to make them easier for people or just to make the celebs stand out among others.
Feature Image : Katy Perry
Have a look at Top 10 real names of celebs which might be unknown to you –
1. Destiny Hope Cyrus (Miley Cyrus) – She got the nickname ‘Smiley’ as a kid. She further shortened this name to Miley. In 2008, she legally changed her name to Miley Ray Cyrus.
2. Milena Markovna Kunis (Mila Kunis) – Her parents, Elvira and Mark, allowed her to shorten the real name when she started booking for her first roles.
3. Kathryn Katy Hudson (Katy Perry) – She produced some Christian music under her birth name, at the age of 16, before turning into a chart-topping singer. She changed her name to Katy Perry, adopting her mother’s maiden name (Perry), in order to avoid confusion with actress Kate Hudson.
4. Demetria Gene Guynes (Demi Moore) – She kept the last name of her first husband Freddy Moore, even they divorced in 1984.
5. Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O’Connor (Lorde) – She explained that the name ‘Lorde’ is a character. She was trying to come up with a stage one (I won’t dare taking her real ‘tough’ name), she thought of the name ‘Lord’. Just to make this name more feminine, she put an extra ‘e’ on the end.
6. Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra (Meg Ryan) – She decided to shorten her name after dropping out of NYU one semester early in order to pursue her acting career.
7. Natalia Nikloaevna Zakharenko (Natalie Wood) – Her name was changed at the age of four, when she started acting as a child actress.
8. Shawn Corey Carter (Jay – Z) – His friends used to call him ‘Jazzy’ when he was growing up. He changed his name to Jay-Z to honor his mentor, producer and rapper Jaz-O.
9. Olivia Jane Cockburn (Olivia Wilde) – She played the role of Gwendolen in Oscar Wilde’s – The Importance of Being Ernest in her high school. She simply decided to drop her last name, because it contained ‘cock’ in it, and picked Wilde instead.
10. Amanda Lee Rogers (Portia De Rossi) – Amanda legally changed her name at the age of fifteen. The name ‘Portia’ comes from the heroine of the play The Merchant of Venice and she picked ‘De Rossi’ because of its exotic sound.
Other than the above mentioned names, the real names of
- Bruno Mars is Peter Gene Hernandez,
- Drake is Aubrey Drake Graham,
- Albert Brooks is Albert Einstein,
- Woody Allen is Allen Konigsberg,
- Garrison Keillor is Gary Edward Keillor,
- Hulk Hogan is Terry Jean Bollette,
- Courtney Love is Love Michelle Harrison,
- Pink is Alicia Beth Moore,
- Lady Gaga is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta,
- Vin Diesel is Mark Sinclair Vincent and the list goes on.